Makers Against Drought
Do you miss water as much as we do? The California water crisis is causing an enormous drought in agriculture, jobs and revenue. That's why Samsung is hosting Makers Against Drought, a $100,000 challenge to makers who want to help solve the California water crisis with good technology and good ideas.
The Internet of Things can change the world, and we're offering our new ARTIK platform to help. As part of your solution, ARTIK has the power and flexibility to collect data at all scales of water consumption for new insights. Learn more!
Makers Against Drought is about building, and the competition happens in two stages. In the Challenge Building Period, makers submit their best solutions using ARTIK. Finalists will be selected to complete their solution in the Finalist Building Period, leading up to the Grand Prize.
- Individuals who are at least the age of majority where they reside as of the time of entry
- Teams of eligible individuals
- Teams of eligible individuals entering on behalf of organizations that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry, and employ no more than 50 people
- Register for the Challenge
- Apply to the ARTIK Alpha Developer Program at www.artik.io
- Using the ARTIK Developer Kit, create a solution that could help solve the California water crisis
- Create a video that includes footage that clearly explains your solution’s features and functionality through a comprehensive demonstration
- Complete and enter all of the required fields on the “Enter a Submission” page of the Challenge Website during the Challenge Submission Period
How to enter
Step 1: Get your ARTIK development kit
Apply for the ARTIK Alpha Developer Program (before May 31, because supplies are limited) with your idea and your intention to participate in the challenge. You'll get a free* ARTIK Development Kit, technical support and direct access to our team for feedback. Note: We are no longer accepting new submissions. We want to thank everyone who entered the challenge, and have notified all participants who will be moving on to the next stage. Good luck!
Step 2: Build an IoT solution
This competition is open to makers and teams of makers. Because this is about working together to solve a crisis, you're free to join more than one team, or enter your own individual project apart from your team. (See the rules for more details.)
Project submission is open from May 12 to April 1, 2016. We need a reliably functioning prototype with source code, and a video that demonstrates what you've made. You're free to integrate an existing solution with ARTIK as long as it creates something new.
Good luck and let's solve this crisis!
* You must submit a solution. Without a solution, you must either purchase or return your devkit.
Samsung Judge 1
Samsung Judge 3
Samsung Judge 4
Samsung Judge 5
Includes creativity and originality of the idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer and how well the Solution utilizes the ARTIK IoT Platform
Potential Impact on the California Water Crisis or World Water Consumption
Includes the extent to which the Solution could potentially impact those affected by the California water crisis, and its replicability to other parts of the world
Includes the solution’s level of usability and user design